Drawing is my worst class and now I have to make a mini graphic novel. :/ I wonder how this will go…
binge watched a couple videos about famous artists and came to the conclusion
- i dislike pop art and the extreme european-ness of modern art/design.
- i do like various dutch styles throughout the ages.
- art fanboys and fangirls seems like followers mindlessly, over enthusiastically, spouting reasons why some person or thing is great. it sounds like they have no original thought on the subject matter at all.
- people have quite the imagination finding some deep meanings in things w/o any evidence to back.
- someone seems to be regarded as a master if they were the 1st to do something different. it’s like that’s the only reason why they became famous. be bold and different! take risks!
- i think reading manga screwed me up. even reading comics now i’ll naturally want to read right to left. so with the great wave apparently it’s facing right b/c japanese read from right to left and it looks more menacing that way. westerners want the wave to face left. the composition the way it is makes more sense to me. in generally i prefer flipped compositions from what seems to be the norm and i wonder if this is why.
- describing surrealism as disturbing bothers me. it sounds like the person has no imagination and their inner child is dead. just accept it for what it is and stop trying to make sense of it.
i’m going back to watching anime now.
GentleOrc by Pavee Keawmafai.
my mother called my antisocial last week and it still bugs me. she doesn’t know the struggle i go through trying to be social with people who often end up ignoring me. i can’t do superficial friendships either. i don’t think i’m antisocial i just have yet to meet ppl who want to socialize with me or understand the purpose of regular contact. i do think i’m too comfortable being by myself to the point where i wonder if it’s unnatural though.
"She removes her wig, her eyelashes, her makeup, never breaking eye contact with the reflection of her natural self. It’s an intimate, powerful moment television doesn’t often show: A black woman removing all the elements white supremacy tells her she has to wear to be beautiful, successful, powerful." (x)
it’s always interesting to see the transformation women in general go through with makeup.
Centaur Made of Real Bones
Skulls Unlimited is the “World’s Leading Supplier of Osteological Specimens.”
They create custom skeletal mounts of animals that don’t exist (so say the scientists) such as this Centaur. The one featured here was created using the torso of a real human skeleton and melding it with the body of a horse.
Generally the company provides ‘run of the mill’ skeletons for research, however, as with the centaur, they also make some pretty awesome fake examples of hard-to-find, or non-existent, skeletons.
finally got around to buying a drawing tablet. i got a cheap one since i never used on before. if i like using one i think i’d eventually like to upgrade to the one with the screen in the pad.
in other news, i feel like going to maine. never been there, don’t know what’s there, but i feel an urge to go. maybe it’s just to experience the wilderness for a day and leave.